Monday, October 31, 2011

Day Three - Trouble Breathing

This entry was originally written on October 16th, 3 days after Noah was born. We still didnt have any answers about his condition at this point

We hurried into the hospital so we could finally hold our baby boy again. We stopped along the way and got Katie's prescriptions filled and picked Noah up a little stuffed dog to watch over him. I was worried we would be late getting there and miss our window. I was in no way ready for what i walked into.
When we walked into the NICU there was 4 nurses around Noah's bed and alarms going off. He had stopped breathing...
He had apparently done this quite a few times thoughout the night. And in the next half hour he did it a few more times. It would only be for less than a minute but watching your newborn child's chest just stop moving...He was having apneic episodes which were in conjunction with his seizures, not separate from. Seconds felt like hours every time his breathing would stop. They were always able to get him going again with stimulation and a little blow by oxygen.
A stronger anti-seizure medication was ordered to be used with the other two he was already on. "Keppra" is what they called it. This new medication seemed to control his episodes all throughout the day.
We talked to a few new doctors and they explained a little better what it was they were doing and looking for. Needless to say since he was anything but stable they didnt have his MRI done. So the main focus now is getting his seizures under control and getting him stable for a while so we can get back to digging up reasons for them.
All day he was pretty much knocked out. The anti-seizure medications come with an extreme amount of drowsiness. We stayed all day and all sorts of people came to visit him. aunts, uncles, his great grandparents, my family. The girls at the desk where you check in (each and every time, they are very secure here!) were laughing at the revolving door we appeared to have going.
Later in the night he had a few very small sub-clinical (not seen on the outside) seizures. So we sat back there with him for a while that night. One of the nurses suggested reading him a story, or just talking to him. Which he really responds too! He would almost wake up from time to time and would yawn or cough a little. But never really opened his eyes or showed signs of true wakefulness.
I told him all sorts of things about life, his home, the dogs, anything I could think of. While Katie took a cart of supplies and made a very neat little sign with his name at the end of the bed. They told us about all sorts of programs they have to help the parents de-stress and cope with the inevitable anxiety that comes with a baby in the NICU. I am very glad we chose this hospital...not only are the one of the best places to treat Noah, they are one of the best places to be while he is treated for us.
We left around Midnight to sleep and eat and come back in the morning, and prayed that the next day would be better, not worse...

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget