Thursday, November 3, 2011

Noah At 3 Weeks

Little Noah has been home for just over a week now. He seems to be developing at a good rate so far. However at only 3 weeks old it is hard to say we are in the clear from here on out.

Noah has done great with his feeding so far, and seems to be digesting things properly. Also he is now holding is head up more and more, almost all the time when supported. He is also making "throat noises" a lot. His ability to "find" people and follow them seems to be getting better. Also, he lifted his head and chest up very well when on his stomach from time to time. Which to my understanding is actually ahead of schedule. As well is his ability to roll from side to side. But that may just be a side effect of him kicking so much. 

My wife and I are doing our best to keep him stimulated. By doing the exercises the physical therapist showed us as well as talking to him. We also sing to him and read to him a lot. He seems to enjoy the attention and every day seems more and more active and aware of the world around him. 

One thing that still concerns me is the seeming lack in thumb control. Noah keeps his thumbs bent inside his hand nearly all the time. They will move with some coaxing but for the most part they stay there. I have read it is normal for infants to ball their fists for the first 3 months of life. However, given Noah's unique situation, I must be vigilant in my observations and adjust his care accordingly. 

Overall though, at 3 weeks I am feeling very hopeful for a 100% recovery, but fully aware that may not be the case at all. The hardest part is not knowing where my son will be in his development in a couple months, let alone the rest of his childhood. But i will say it again, One day at a time.

14 comments:

  1. everytime I see owls I think of Noah

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing Ryan, keep doing what you are doing, sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walker and I are continuing to pray for Noah, as well as for his lucky, and loving parents; for your whole family. Thanks for the updates, and for pointing me towards this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is very Beautiful!
    Wonderful Photo's of your 'Little Man'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan, this is such a great blog.....I love the precious photos of little Noah......I continue to pray for you all and just know in my heart your little guy is going to be okey!!!!!!! You and Katie are such wonderful, loving parents....he's got the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is such an adorable boy. Keep doing what you are both doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is doing great! He has the best parents to get the best results. I hope he keeps coming along so well. I am happy for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh he is just so cute hoping he keeps getting stronger everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. keep up with all you do,, you guys are his rock and he will love you for it

    steph in NE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! I love reading all of this! I really have become obsessed with Noah!
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for letting us know whats going one with Noah. my son use to ball his fists a lot to when he was not scratching his face we use to put covers on his hands because he was always scratching his face up

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like he is doing great, of course some days or weeks will be better then some and I wouldn't take that there is something wrong, but like you said keep a watch on things, document what you can so you don't have to remember everything. Thanks for the update and one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good blog. Keep 'em coming. I'm glad Noah's progress seems to be coming along nicely. Loving parents can be a great cure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He's just precious~what a brave li'l guy!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget